Makefile calling configure unnessesarily

From: Ulrich von Zadow
Subject: Makefile calling configure unnessesarily
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 00:28:46 +0100

Hi,

for some reason, doing

  ./configure
  make

results in make calling configure again in a project I have here. The make output starts like this:

$ make
cd . && /bin/sh /cygdrive/c/home/paintlib/config/missing --run aclocal
cd . && \
/bin/sh /cygdrive/c/home/paintlib/config/missing --run automake --gnu Makefile
cd . && /bin/sh /cygdrive/c/home/paintlib/config/missing --run autoconf
/bin/sh ./config.status --recheck
running /bin/sh ./configure   --no-create --no-recursion
[...]

A second call to make doesn't result in a configure call.

This is what the top-level Makefile.am looks like:

  AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS        =
  MAINTAINERCLEANFILES =
  SUBDIRS = common lib gnu
  DIST_SUBDIRS = common lib gnu
  bin_SCRIPTS = paintlib-config

The project uses libtool, if that's of any interest. This happens under (at least) cygwin and linux. I'd post configure.in, but it's 150+ lines...

I've been looking for the fix here for a while now, and I really can't see what's causing this, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful.

Regards,

  Uli