AC_PROG_LIBTOOL problems with autoconf

From: Eric Ray
Subject: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL problems with autoconf
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:08:44 -0600

I'm trying to use the LIBTOOL call in my configure.in but I keep getting
the following error message when I run autoconf.

        configure.in:9: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

Then when if I go ahead and run ./configure I get this message:

        ./configure: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL: not found

Any suggestions on how to make this work?

----------------------------------
platform: sun Solaris version 2.7

gnu tools:
autoconf 2.52
libtool 1.4.1
automake 1.5
m4 1.4

----------------------------------
Here's a copy of my configure.in

# Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.
AC_INIT(./.init_)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(test, 1.0)
AC_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h])
AC_PREFIX_DEFAULT($HOME/dev)
AC_PROG_MAKE_SET
AC_PROG_INSTALL
AC_PROG_RANLIB
AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
AC_SUBST(LIBTOOL_DEPS)
AC_ARG_ENABLE(debug,
[  --enable-debug generates debuging information],
enable_debug=true, enable_debug=false)
AM_CONDITIONAL(DEBUG, $enable_debug )

# Checks for programs.
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_LN_S

# Checks for libraries.

# Checks for header files.
AC_HEADER_DIRENT
AC_HEADER_STDC
AC_CHECK_HEADERS([errno.h stdlib.h])

# Checks for typedefs, structures, and compiler characteristics.
AC_C_CONST
AC_C_INLINE
AC_HEADER_TIME
AC_STRUCT_TM

# Checks for library functions.
AC_FUNC_MEMCMP
AC_FUNC_MKTIME
AC_FUNC_STAT
AC_FUNC_STRFTIME
AC_CHECK_FUNCS([memset memcmp mktime strcasecmp strncasecmp strstr
strcat strcpy strlen])

AC_OUTPUT([String/Makefile
    test/Makefile
    Makefile])

----------------------------------
Here's a copy of my Makefile.am

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libString.la

if DEBUG
COMP_OPTS = -g
else
COMP_OPTS = -O3
endif

STD_COMP_OPTS = -ansi

CXXFLAGS = $(COMP_OPTS) $(STD_COMP_OPTS)

libString_la_SOURCES = String.cpp

noinst_HEADERS = String.h

-- Eric Ray