Re: how to prefix definitions in config.h

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: how to prefix definitions in config.h
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:57:42 +0100

Es schrieb Akim Demaille:

> Paul> Sorry, I don't understand the question.  I went back and read
> Paul> the thread, and I still don't understand the question.
>
> Sorry for being confuse.
>
> Paul> I did understand Russ Allbery's point.  He wrote that if you
> Paul> need a config.h variant, then it should be easy enough to create
> Paul> the variant with a makefile rule that looks something like this:
>
> Paul> my_config.h: config.h sed 's/#define /#define MY_/; s/#undef
> Paul> /#undef MY_/' <config.h >$@
>
> Paul> and once you do that, you don't nee Autoconf to generate
> Paul> my_config.h.
>
> I agree your solution is the most appropriate for their issue, but the
> general question I was trying to address was that of hooking commands
> to AC_CONFIG_FILES, AC_CONFIG_HEADERS.  Some people want some commands
> to be ran when the header is created.  I was merely looking for the
> syntax to code into Autoconf.
>
> But I'm now tempted to drop this, until someone comes with an actual
> need.

the underlying problem is the generation of a order between
generated files - no need to spend time on hooks if one can
ensure an order another way. It looks logical to put such
order-specs into the makefile but it raises other problems
with (a) automake not being good at expressing things like
aclocal^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hamlocal macros to be transferred into
rules and (b) not good at expressing macro-args and any of
the current expressions need heavy logics in the core
automake perl base - which atleast looks overdone for the
simple thing we like to achieve. If autoconf could be
instructed to follow a certain order, that would well be
enough - nobody cares much if the generation-lines end up
in the makefile.in or in the config.status body.

cheers,
-- guido                                    http://freespace.sf.net/guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)