Short question

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Short question
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 02:49:43 -0500 (EST)

> How can I create a macro that does the following?
> a) Accept a parameter for using my personal lib library directories when
> checking for installed libraries

We need to put this in a FAQ somewhere...

If you want to detect libraries installed in nonstandard locations, the
right thing to do is to use the LDFLAGS variable, as in:

        ./configure LDFLAGS=-L$HOME/stuff/lib

See also:

http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/Installed_Packages/smr_with_build_path.html

> b) Knows that when I am in linux alpha, I need to add the -lcxml to
> the compilation line, and then appropiately exports ORBITALS_LIBS to
> -lorbitals -lcxml when in Linux-alpha, and -lorbitals otherwise?

You can detect a particular host with the AC_CANONICAL_HOST macro.
However, the right thing to do (in the spirit of autoconf) isL:

        AC_CHECK_LIB(cxml,required_function_in_cxml,[ORBITALS_LIBS="-lcxml"])

before doing your -lorbitals check (and in that check, set ORBITALS_LIBS
to "-lorbitals $ORBITALS_LIBS").

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson