Re: AC_TRY_RUN and cross-compiling (was: Re: ORBit 0.5.8 Cross-Compile p

From: Ossama Othman
Subject: Re: AC_TRY_RUN and cross-compiling (was: Re: ORBit 0.5.8 Cross-Compile problems...)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:22:31 -0800

Hi Dan,

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 09:02:12PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Ossama Othman wrote:
> > That should certainly be feasible unless there are some bizarre
> > platforms out there.  In any case, this shouldn't be a problem if
> > developers use a reasonable "action-if-cross-compiling" argument for
> > AC_TRY_RUN, such as a compile/link-time test
>
> I suppose.  I prefer configure to just fail in that case, myself.
> I don't want a random, and perhaps incorrect for my platform, default.

Why?  I'm not suggesting a default value.  I'm suggesting that another
compile/link-time test be used within the "action-if-cross-compiling"
AC_TRY_RUN parameter.  With this approach one would fallback on what
should presumably be a valid compile/link-time test.  The "action"
could also check if an environment variable is set, too.  It could
even run a script, for example.  This won't always work, in which case
your suggestion below would be very useful.

> > BTW, did terminology change? ...
>
> Sorry, I got confused.  (And I think that kept you from reading my
> suggestion properly.)  Here it is, corrected:
>
> 3. AC_TRY_RUN lets the user specify how to run code on the target,
>    e.g. with a --with-try-run=foo.sh option, where foo.sh is
>    a script that runs the given command remotely, e.g. via ssh.
>    (By default, configure would assume you can't run code on the target
>    when cross-compiling, just like now.)
>
> Does that make more sense?

's/target/host platform/g' :-)  In any case, yes it does.  Thanks for
the clarification.  Your suggestion seems reasonable to me.

-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <address@hidden>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Univ. of California at Irvine