Re: Autoconf speedup

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Autoconf speedup
Date: 18 Apr 2002 17:02:46 +0200

>>>>> "Zdenek" == Zdenek Kabelac <address@hidden> writes:

Zdenek> Hi I've taken you address for autoconf list as you seems to be
Zdenek> an expert in this area (well as a developer you should be)

Nope, please write to the lists.

Zdenek> I'd like to know if there are any plans to improve the speed
Zdenek> of creation of makefiles ?

Zdenek> e.g. something like configure --for-gnu-only

Zdenek> This would create some short simple Makefiles and these would
Zdenek> include one global shared Makefile.inc where all the common
Zdenek> targets & defines would be specified.

This would complexify configure for little gain.  Rather, use
CONFIG_SITE and a global config.cache if you want to take such risks.

Zdenek> I think there is a lot of projects which will work only on
Zdenek> modern systems anyway and there is no reason to remain
Zdenek> compatible with 20 year old wax machines in this case -
Zdenek> i.e. while developing avifile I do not plan to port this on a
Zdenek> box with 10 year old sparc machine - but it's very borring to
Zdenek> wait 30 second to regenerate configuraion & makefile while
Zdenek> this could be made in 6 seconds.  Moreover these huge
Zdenek> makefiles nearly doubles the size of compressed project
Zdenek> (i.e. from 1.4MB to 2.1MB with configured files)

Zdenek> I'd be really happy to see such option - so there some plan or
Zdenek> at least is there some Wishlist where I could place this ?

Zdenek> bye