How can I install files to specific location?

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: How can I install files to specific location?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:10:36 +0100

Hi,
        I've an application (atlc) that has documentation in the form of html
pages and
some jpgs. When the packaged files are extracted prior to compiling, the files
in question are in  atlc-version/docs/html-docs and
atlc-version/docs/html-docs/jpgs.

How can  get those installed into /usr/local/atlc-version/html-docs and
/usr/local/atlc-version/html-docs/jpgs by default, with the /usr/local being
changed if someone alters the program-prefix?

--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
email: address@hidden