Re: autoconf choking on paths containing comma

From: Dean Povey
Subject: Re: autoconf choking on paths containing comma
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:17:19 +1000

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 11:56:54 -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>Sascha Silbe wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I first tried it on the openssh ml, but they told me it'd rather look like a
>> bug in autoconf, so here I am.
>The autoconf team chose to use a comma `,' character in the sed command
>because they reasoned that most persons wouldn't have path names with

Yes, well I think Sascha can be forgiven for missing this undocumented
`feature'.  Particularly as for a standard AC_SUBST autoconf carefully
ensures that a , on the RHS of a sed expression is correctly quoted, and
as far as I can tell this used to work fine until the abs_xxxx substs
were introduced (presumably why this was never a problem before).

>> This is my problem:
>Yes it is.  Change your path names.

Good software shouldn't do random things on random input. The correct
answer is that autoconf should escape the commas, or it should print out a
helpful error message.

A quick glance through the code shows shows that the sed script that is
being output to config.status to subst the ac_xxxx_dirs should be using the
same hack used for the AC_SUBST stuff to ensure that @ and , on the RHS of
the sed expression are escaped.