Re: Site Macro Directory

From: Allan Clark
Subject: Re: Site Macro Directory
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 03:25:07 -0400

"Mark D. Roth" wrote:

> On Wed May 15 17:21 2002 -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > I use Automake's "aclocal" for this.  It generates aclocal.m4
> > automatically from m4/*.m4.  In my case, the m4/*.m4 files are often
> > links to the "canonical" versions.
>
> Unfortunately, that won't work for me, since I use autoconf but not
> automake.

I have a toolbox in the trunk of my car, but I never use the crescent
wrench.

You can certainly install the automake package, and never type
"automake"; My understanding is that aclocal will work independently of
automake.  My toolbox analogy is that my screwdriver works independently
of my crescent wrench, despite that they are in the same toolbox.

It may seem like a waste to install all of automake just to get access
to the aclocal tool, but it seems to fulfill your needs, and doesn't (I
don't think) force you to use automake.

Allan