Re: macros for rpath support

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: macros for rpath support
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:59:22 +0200 (CEST)

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh writes:

> This is very un-optimal. Some programs embed the prefix path to find other
> files, and those would break quite hard.

Oh, I gave an advice suitable for building relocatable binary
packages. If that's not what you are doing, then please, can you tell
why you don't want rpath entries in your shared libraries?

> It would be best if we could
> tell your autoconf macros not to use rpath in a way guaranteed to have no
> side-efects

What kinds of side effects of rpath have you experienced, that you
would not have with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and similar workarounds?

Bruno