Re: macros for rpath support

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Subject: Re: macros for rpath support
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:07:07 -0300

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Bruno Haible wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh writes:
> > This is very un-optimal. Some programs embed the prefix path to find other
> > files, and those would break quite hard.
>
> Oh, I gave an advice suitable for building relocatable binary
> packages. If that's not what you are doing, then please, can you tell
> why you don't want rpath entries in your shared libraries?

I am not doing anything of the sort. We are usually downstream maintainers
in Debian.  But lots of upstream autoconf scripts use $prefix to set the
default path for modules, for example.

Please use your own 'disable rpath' option (maybe --without-rpath ?) so that
it will not have side-effects when your autoconf macros get used by other
people in their configure scripts.

As for rpath in the distribution: We don't want rpath because rpath kills
any possibility of relocatable _libraries_, and causes ABI headaches between
distributions, for starters.  Sometimes rpath is the right thing to do, but
for a glibc Linux distribution, it isn't in the general case.

If you _really_ are curious about the issue, refer to the Debian libc5 to
libc6 transition issues, in our mailinglist archives.  And think about
cross-compiling issues, as well.

> What kinds of side effects of rpath have you experienced, that you
> would not have with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and similar workarounds?

Total and utterly broken systems. And, if I was not being clear enough, we
do NOT use LD_LIBRARY_PATH tricks in the distribution either. We use
ld.so.conf and the ld.so linker itself only, so that the users can do
whatever they want with rpath and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and the local admin can
change our defaults if he really knows what he is doing.

  Henrique Holschuh