Re: macros for rpath support

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: macros for rpath support
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 19:51:37 +0200 (CEST)

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh writes:

> I am not doing anything of the sort. We are usually downstream maintainers
> in Debian.  But lots of upstream autoconf scripts use $prefix to set the
> default path for modules ...
>
> As for rpath in the distribution: We don't want rpath because rpath kills
> any possibility of relocatable _libraries_, and causes ABI headaches between
> distributions, for starters.  Sometimes rpath is the right thing to do, but
> for a glibc Linux distribution, it isn't in the general case.
> We use ld.so.conf and the ld.so linker itself only, so that the users can do
> whatever they want with rpath and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and the local admin can
> change our defaults if he really knows what he is doing.

OK, I see. You are building non-relocatable packages in general, but
still want libraries to be relocatable in case of major system
surgery, and the /etc/ld.so.conf file is completely satisfactory for
your purpose. Right?

I think a configure option --without-rpath is completely adequate for
this case and can be added to the macros with very little effort.

Thanks for bringing up the issue.

Bruno