[autoconf] Cray Fortran compilers

From: Kate Hedstrom
Subject: [autoconf] Cray Fortran compilers
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:05:40 -0800

Can I request that cf77 and cft77 get removed from the list of Fortran
compilers to try? They are both old and I was surprised to find them on
the system. Neither one passes the configure tests while f90 (for years
the recommended compiler) does:

% uname -a
sn3306 chilkoot 10.0.1.0 jlm.3 CRAY SV1

% configure
:
checking for g77... no
checking for f77... no
checking for xlf... no
checking for cf77... cf77
checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output... configure: error: Fortran
77 compiler cannot create executables

% configure F77=cft77
:
checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output... configure: error: Fortran
77 compiler cannot create executables

% configure F77=f90
:
checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output... a.out
checking whether the Fortran 77 compiler works... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether f90 accepts -g... yes

The early Cray compilers did not to do the job of the linker, nor did
they call the linker. That was a separate step.

Kate
--
Kate Hedström       Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
address@hidden       University of Alaska, Fairbanks