Re: Site Macro Directory

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Site Macro Directory
Date: 24 May 2002 12:18:42 +0200

>> But that's what the m4 subdirectory is for, with aclocal.  This is
>> replicating function, and it's confusing.  Why not just call it
>> 'm4', as before?  People using aclocal can continue to use m4/*.m4;
>> people using Autoconf with your new feature (and without using
>> aclocal) can also use m4/*.m4.

Mark> The main reason for giving it a different name is that we want
Mark> to avoid conflicts between autoconf and aclocal.

There is no such confusion, and the Automake is really waiting for us
to have an aclocal replacement to get rid of aclocal which should
never have existed.  It's an historical accident, due to the lack of
support of Autoconf at that time.

Mark> If autoconf reads the files in the subdirectory by default,

That's technically incorrect.  autoconf reads aclocal.m4, period.
aclocal.m4 redirects to the right files.