Suppressing default #defines created by autoheader

From: Alexander Konovalenko
Subject: Suppressing default #defines created by autoheader
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 06:04:50 -0700 (PDT)

Is there a way to suppress automatic generation of the
#undefs in my config.h.in that are derived from the
variables defined by the autoconf and automake init
macros (PACKAGE_* and PACKAGE and VERSION)?

I have a C++ program using autoconf and automake, and I
would like to generate a config.h that will include my
package meta-info as const char* variables instead of
C macros.  I know how to add custom strings to config.h
using autoheader, but I don't know how to get rid of
the rest of the variables.  Is there a macro that
unsets an output variable or the define thing?

The other way (less preferred) of doing this is not to
use autoheader at all, instead having a manually written
template config.h.in.  But in this case, if I do not
declare AC_CONFIG_HEADER in the configure.ac, autoconf
inserts all the #defines as -Ds into the command line.
Can I at least suppress their insertion here?  As I've
understood from the documentation, the DEFS variable
appears only after configure runs, so I cannot just write
DEFS="".

I'm using autoconf 2.53 which is provided with Debian
GNU/Linux "woody" 3.0 distribution.

Thank you!

If I have missed something in the docs or if there is an
answer to my questions somewhere already, a pointer to the
correct section or URL will suffice.

 -- Alexander Konovalenko