Re: cache directory is not removed

From: Bill Wendling
Subject: Re: cache directory is not removed
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:02:41 -0500

Also sprach Sam Steingold:
} > * In message <address@hidden>
} > * On the subject of "Re: cache directory is not removed"
} > * Sent on 05 Jun 2002 09:08:46 +0200
} > * Honorable Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:
} >
} > >>>>> "Sam" == Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
} >
} > Sam> when I run autoconf the usual way, it runs "autom4te" which
} > Sam> creates cache directory "autom4te-2.53.cache" and does not remove
} > Sam> it at the end.  I think that this directory should be deleted
} > Sam> before `autom4te' terminates.
} >
} > No, the point is precisely to speed up following calls to autoheader
} > automake etc.
}
} so, what do people do about these directories in the projects under the
} CVS?
} `rm -rf` them after `make configures`?
} put them into .cvsignore?
} is it possible to add a --remove-cache or --no-cache option?
}
} you see, I call automake/autoheader/autoconf very rarely (obviously),
} so I do not care if it takes 1sec  or 10sec once a month,
} while having a junk cache dirs is no good.
}
} please do listen: this is a __MAJOR__ inconvenience introduced in 2.53.
}
I concur. It is an annoyance. Having a flag (--remove-cache) as mentioned
above would be very nice. Having the cache directory is fine, but keeping
them there is a pain...