Precious vars, etc., in sub-configures

From: John D. Burger
Subject: Precious vars, etc., in sub-configures
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:11:11 -0400

Last week I wrote:

> I have a question about sub-configuration and --enable switches.  I
> would like a particular --enable switch to always be passed to the
> recursive configure scripts just like "precious" variables are.

I just discovered that precious variables don't do this either, so I
have an expanded question:

Let's say a main package and subsidiary packages share a --enable
switch, or a (non-standard) precious var.  Can anyone suggest how to
arrange for the subsidiary configures to get the switch or precious
variable even if the top-level configure wasn't called with the iterm in
question?  That is, the main configure will compute a default, and I'd
like to then communicate the default to the sub-packages, not let them
compute their own default.

Is there any way to do this using the AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS facility?  Or do
I have to call the recursive configures myself?

Thanks for any help.

- John Burger                                  The MITRE Corporation

  Please avoid sending me unnecessary Word or PowerPoint attachments.