Re: auto-regenerating Makefile.in and Makefile files

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: auto-regenerating Makefile.in and Makefile files
Date: 10 Jul 2002 08:49:01 +0200

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:
Akim> BTW, Automake still does not take full advantage of the current
Akim> config.status.  It could perfectly well have foo/Makefile have a
Akim> trampoline to top_builddir/Makefile which would recreate all the
Akim> obsolete Makefile (and config.h etc.) at once:

Tom> How do we know which ones are out of date?

I was thinking about using Make.  It does have a macro that returns
the list of dependencies that are out of date, doesn't it?

Tom> We could just always run `./config.status' and rebuild
Tom> everything.  We've always avoided that on performance and
Tom> historical grounds.

We can add --update to config.status, so that it only recreates its
obsolete offsprings.  Would that help Automake?