Re: install-sh not found when AC_CONFIG_AUX() used

From: Glenn McGrath
Subject: Re: install-sh not found when AC_CONFIG_AUX() used
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:38:02 +1000

On 12 Jul 2002 10:22:05 -0600
"Tom Tromey" <address@hidden> wrote:

> It sounds like there may be an ordering problem.
> I think we may still fail to diagnose some of those.
> We'll need more information.  The output of configure from the
> beginning through the error might be sufficient.

To keep things simple ill use a slightly modified version of the
hello_world example from http://www.codelearn.com/cpp/gnutools/node62.html

hello.c
        #include <stdio.h>
        main()
        {
                printf("Howdy world!\n");
        }

Makefile.am
        bin_PROGRAMS = hello
        hello_SOURCES = hello.c

configure.ac
        AC_INIT(hello.c)
        AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(hello,0.1)
        AC_PROG_CC
        AC_PROG_INSTALL
        AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(autoscripts)
        AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)

touch AUTHORS
touch NEWS
touch README
touch ChangeLog
mkdir autoscripts

aclocal
automake --add-missing
        configure.ac: installing `autoscripts/install-sh'
        configure.ac: installing `autoscripts/mkinstalldirs'
        configure.ac: installing `autoscripts/missing'
        Makefile.am: installing `autoscripts/depcomp'
autoreconf
        autoreconf2.50: `aclocal.m4' is updated
./configure
        configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../..

That line is the only output ./configure gives, attached is the
config.log, not sure it will help though.

I tried placing the AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR in a few different places within the
configure.ac, which didnt help.

Glenn