Re: Interix identification.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Interix identification.
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:37:30 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Akim Demaille <address@hidden>
> Date: 22 Jul 2002 17:33:13 +0200
>
> Paul> AIX and Interix use _ALL_SOURCE, Solaris uses __EXTENSIONS__,
> Paul> GNU uses _GNU_SOURCE, HP/UX uses _HPUX_SOURCE, and Minix uses
> Paul> _MINIX, _POSIX_SOURCE and _POSIX_1_SOURCE.  Currently these
> Paul> symbols are scattered over several macros (AC_PROG_CC,
> Paul> AC_GNU_SOURCE, AC_AIX, AC_MINIX) but perhaps they should all be
> Paul> folded into AC_PROG_CC (with an option to turn them off,
> Paul> perhaps?).
>
> I agree: they should be on by default.

OK, how about the following plan for implementing it:

* Change the spec for AC_PROG_CC.  Currently it tries to put the C
  compiler in ANSI C mode by default.  We should change this spec so
  that AC_PROG_CC tries to change the compiler to be the "nicest"
  mode, i.e. support for the latest standard features (currently ISO
  C99) plus support for all vendor extensions, even when they are
  incompatible with C99.  The basic idea here is that AC_PROG_CC
  should disable pedanticisms and should enable extensions.

* Deprecate AC_GNU_SOURCE, AC_AIX, and AC_MINIX, as they will be
  superseded by the above changes.