Re: inet_addr? inet_aton?

From: Austin Schutz
Subject: Re: inet_addr? inet_aton?
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:03:45 -0700

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:13:52PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Solaris does have inet_aton; it's just not documented.

        Ugh. :P

> What you want to do is use something like:
>
> AC_REPLACE_FUNCS(inet_aton)
>
> in configure.in and then put @LIBOBJS@ in the appropriate place in your
> Makefile.in (see the autoconf manual) and use your own replacement
> inet_aton.
>
> Feel free to use the following if you wish; it's in the public domain.

<portable inet_aton snipped>

        That's cool. I probably will, thanks.

        So why not make that part of an autoconf library of standardized
functions? Presumably, I could just have users install glibc everywhere,
but that's rather overkill most of the time. Also, I'd rather use system
libraries where possible. Theoretically the folks who design the systems
would optimize their libraries to run well on their systems. Well, one would
hope so.
        Also might be handy for putting POSIX wrappers around non-POSIX
systems, and standardizing (or at least centralizing) non-POSIX necessities,
like opening ptys and the like. Maybe parts of glibc could be included where
the host system doesn't support bits natively.

        What do you think? Sound crazy? :-)

        Austin