autoreconf gets autopoint order wrong?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: autoreconf gets autopoint order wrong?
Date: 03 Oct 2002 14:12:24 -0400

I looked through the archives and the Gnats bugs but didn't see anything
about this.  I'm using autoconf 2.54 / automake 1.7 / gettext 0.11.5.

My source tree contains no derived files at all; you must install the
above tools before you can build from a CVS checkout.

By hand I need to run these tools to get the tree "ready to build":

  autopoint
  aclocal -I config
  autoheader
  automake --add-missing
  autoconf
  ./configure
  make update

("make update" grabs public files from ftp.gnu.org, translation files,
etc. using wget).

I was hoping that a single invocation of "autoreconf" would replace the
first 5 lines above, but it does not work:

  $ autoreconf -i -s
  aclocal: configure.in: 35: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' not found in library
  aclocal: configure.in: 36: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
  autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

After investigation it turns out that this fails because autoreconf
tries to run aclocal first, instead of autopoint, and so all the gettext
macros that autopoint will eventually install into my "config" directory
are missing when aclocal runs.

So, for now autoreconf is not helpful to me.  I wonder if the order in
which these things are done could be changed so autopoint is done first
rather than second?