Re: When crosscompiling, does configure really need --build?

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: When crosscompiling, does configure really need --build?
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 20:59:12 +0200

yes, this warning had been annyoing me too, but it's just a warning,
it still works without any further problems - btw, have you tried
to configure --host=ppc_405 ?? Or does such not work...

Dan Kegel wrote:
I'm using autoconf 2.53.
When I run configure, I override CC and the like
in the environment to point to my cross-compiler like this:

CC=/opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/405/bin/ppc_405-gcc
AR=/opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/405/bin/ppc_405-ar
RANLIB=/opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/405/bin/ppc_405-ranlib CFLAGS="-mcpu=403
-D__PPC405__"  ./configure --prefix=/

Configuring without --host or --build yields the error
"If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'."

Configuring with --host but without --build yields the warning
"configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use
--host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used."

So I configure with both --host and --build, but that's really annoying,
as I posted originally.  I just can't win.  How do I configure for
cross-compiling
without warnings or errors, and without hard-coding info about the build
machine into my build scripts?
- Dan