Re: config.sub/guess and --host/--build

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Subject: Re: config.sub/guess and --host/--build
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:35:13 -0300

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Ross Burton wrote:
> I am creating packages for Debian. The current practise at the moment if
> a package uses autoconf is to replace the config.sub and config.guess

The current practice for Debian is in the autotools-dev package's README,
and believe it or not, it changed a bit :)

> files in upstream with the latest version (which is available through
> the autotools-dev package) before building.  Also, all Debian systems
> (running on 11 architectures) know what they are, so most packages also
> call configure with --host and --build arguments.

Well, now I suggest in autotools-dev that we rm -f the stuff upstream
includes, and symlink that to the ones provided by autotools-dev.  Upstream
rarely updates config.sub/guess enough anyway.  I suggest we notify them
once, and then leave it at their discretion (and don't use their supplied
config.sub/.guess anymore).

> So, does using --host and --build mean that config.sub and config.guess
> will never be used? From a brief look at configure this appears to be

config.sub always get called.

> the case, but is it a behaviour I can depend on to remain true in the
> future?  Being able to ditch the config.sub and config.guess update mess
> would make things a lot easier...

Read about the symlink method in the new autotools-dev package, and get the
cyrus21-imapd package for an example of it in action (both from Debian
unstable)...  You never have to think about config.sub/.guess again.

  Henrique Holschuh