Re: configuring sub directories optional

From: Jeff Squyres
Subject: Re: configuring sub directories optional
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:19:00 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> I'd like to use AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS to configure a set of sub-packages,
> but I'm missing some functionality:
>
> I'd like to control what to do if configuration fails. Some sub-packages
> are mandatory, so if AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS fails, the parent configure
> should report an error and bail out. Some, however, are optional, so I'd
> just like to skip them, i.e. not creating the build tree for these
> sub-packages at all.

I'd like to second this request -- I recently had to write a huge
workaround for AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS because it wouldn't let my [optional]
subdirectory configure's fail gracefully.  It would be highly preferable
if there was some kind of way of knowing whether the sub-configure failed,
and then allowing the top-level configure.ac to decide whether to continue
or not.

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} address@hidden
{+} Research Associate, Open Systems Lab, Indiana University
{+} http://www.osl.iu.edu/