Re: check for microsoft compiler cl

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: check for microsoft compiler cl
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:40:56 -0500

Warren Young wrote:
Paul Eggert wrote:

I assume so, but you may have to consult a Cygwin mailing list.

No, _don't_ bother the Cygwin mailing lists about Visual C++ problems. _Way_ inappropriate forum; they'll tell you to use gcc, which auto* will use without any problems.

Johannes, if you're just changing the CC variable and expecting it to work, that's why you're having problems. The configure script probably assumes that foo.c gets compiled to foo.o and linked to foo. What cl will do is make foo.obj and link that to foo.exe. Due to the Cygwin work, there's probably a way to tell auto* what the platform filename extensions are, but this is not a Cygwin problem per se, so don't bother them about it. Just find out what extensions they added to the traditional POSIXy core of auto*, and use them.

IIRC, autoconf handles .obj correctly. I don't know if there's a make builtin rule for .obj though.

Earnie.