Re: AC_DEFINE questions

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: AC_DEFINE questions
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:59:00 -0800

> Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:25:54 -0500 (EST)
> From: Jeff Squyres <address@hidden>
>
> We *don't* have multiple installations of autoconf

That is your problem.  You have an inflexible organization that makes
it difficult to support more than one version of a program, or to
upgrade versions.  Such an organization is not suitable for many
software development environments.

I can't imagine insisting on a single version of GCC for our
environment, for example.  It would be totally impractical for us, as
no single version of GCC will solve all our problems.  I also can't
imagine waiting for a long time between needing a particular version
of GCC and having it installed here.  I know about organizations that
have problems such as you describe -- but those are the organizations'
problems, not GCC's problems.

> I made the above remark because someone made the suggestion / implication
> that all of my developers could each have their own installation,

That sort of flexibility is rarely necessary.  From your description,
it appears that all you need is for your developers to share one
instance of an autoconf version that is suitable for your project.