Re: Literate programming with noweb ...

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Literate programming with noweb ...
Date: 12 Feb 2003 12:20:47 -0800

"Scott D. Brown" <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. Can I introduce a "rule" into my Makefile.am (just like a normal
>     Makefile) that would define how to produce a .o file from the .nw
>     file.

Sure.

> 2. How do I teach automake that when foo.cpp needs
>     foo.h that it can be generated from foo.nw using the provided rule.

You can give a rule for generating .h files from .nw files.

Traditionally, "make" has a bit of trouble if a single command
produces multiple output files, e.g., yacc -d produces both a .h and a
.c file.  It sounds like you may run into that bit of trouble too; but
it's usually not a big deal with yacc, since yacc -d updates the
timestamps of both files.