Re: Library linking problem

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Re: Library linking problem
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 02:05:36 +0000

Mike Castle wrote:

> In article <address@hidden>,
> Dr. David Kirkby <address@hidden> wrote:
> >/conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libgsl.so.0: cannot
> >open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >configure:4834: $? = 127
> >configure: program exited with status 127
> >configure: failed program was:
> >#line 4784 "configure"
> >

> >It seems to suggested the library libgsl.so.0 is missing. However, has
> >it not already checked and found that it? The library is in fact in
> >/usr/local/lib, although it links to another file, which links to
> >another before the library
>
> Is /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf ?

I' pretty new to linux, so /usr/local/lib was not in /etc/ld.so.conf.
However, I have since added it, run ldconfig (without any options) and
still it fails at the same point. What I did notice however is that
running ldconfig -v gives  a long list of libraries for every
directory, but none for /usr/local/lib.

/usr/lib/atlas:
        libblas.so.2 -> libblas.so.2.3
        liblapack.so.2 -> liblapack.so.2.3
/usr/local/lib:
/lib:
        libgcc_s.so.1 -> libgcc_s.so.1
        libnss_db.so.2 -> libnss_db-2.2.so
        libwrap.so.0 -> libwrap.so.0.7.6

Is this a bad sign ?

> Do your tests for the existence of libgsl just compile or does it run as
> well?  If it doesn't run, that could explain the situation here.

They only check for the existence of the library and header files - it
does not attempt to compile or run a program. I don't know how to
compile/link/test a program, but I'm sure that is something I can find
out how to do. However, the problem seems more basic here.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Senior Research Fellow,