Re: sed, pathnames, commas, ?(shell functions)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: sed, pathnames, commas, ?(shell functions)
Date: 26 Feb 2003 02:29:43 -0800

Robert Anderson <address@hidden> writes:

> If I submit a patch using shell functions to make the sed substitutions
> in config.status "comma safe", will it be considered?

I suspect that's more likely that we'll introduce shell functions in
new features than start right away in replacing old code with shell
functions.  This process has already started.  At some point it will
gather steam but it might be a bit early right now.

In the meantime maybe we should use '|' instead of ','.  That would be
a simple workaround.  In practice, '|' is far less likely to occur in
filenames than ',' is.