Re: how portable is fchdir?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: how portable is fchdir?
Date: 03 Mar 2003 13:43:11 -0800

Jim Meyering <address@hidden> writes:

> Do any of you know of reasonably modern systems
> that do *not* support fchdir?

It's broken in Cygwin, at least for 1.3.6-6.  See:

> I've heard that on at least SunOS4 it fails for file systems
> on which some type of accounting is enabled.

Yes, it fails if auditing is enabled.  Similarly for IRIX 5.3
(IRIX and SunOS share some code in this area, if I recall.)
I vaguely recall it has other NFS-related problems.

> But SunOS4 is not exactly modern.
>
> Also, it looks like SCO Xenix lacks the function altogether,
> but that's hardly modern either.

It's also missing from Ultrix and AIX 3.2.5.

None of these systems are exactly spring chickens, except for Cygwin.