Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 16:36:01 -0800

In article <address@hidden>,
Russ Allbery  <address@hidden> wrote:
>Mike Castle <address@hidden> writes:
>> When building from source, one rarely changes needs to make patches to
>> configure.{in,ac} and then run autotools*.
>
>That depends on your definition of rarely.  Of the 550 packages that I
>maintain, I have to do this with about 30 or 40.
>
>Note that it's often not possible to just patch configure due to broken
>makefile rules that force re-running all of the autotools whenever any of
>the related files are touched.

Or when the original source package has time-stamps which cause that to
happen even without touching anything!

But, outside of originally broken packaging like that, what other type of
local patches would cause similar rerunning all of the autotools?  And
couldn't that be addressed by appropriate use of touch after patch?

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      address@hidden      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/