Re: Header name conflicts

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: Header name conflicts
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:56:31 +0100

Bill Moseley <address@hidden> writes:

|> I'm just starting out converting a project to libtool and automake, and I
|> have an initial problem that the generated Makefile adds -I. to the gcc
|> line.
|>
|> We have an unfortunately named header "string.h", so with -I. added
|>
|>   #include <string.h>
|>
|> ends up reading our "string.h" instead.  Our own code uses
|> #include "string.h" to include our own copy.
|>
|> Yes, it's unfortunate, but is it forbidden to create a header file
|> that might match the name of a system header we also use?

The C standard makes the process of finding the include file
implementation defined, so this is not portable.

|> Seems like adding -I. defeats the purpose of two differnt #include
|> styles.

There is no way around, when building outside the source directory you
have to add -I$(srcdir) anyway.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden
SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg