Re: m4sugar problem with update to autoconf 2.57

From: David Relson
Subject: Re: m4sugar problem with update to autoconf 2.57
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:59:28 -0400

At 10:15 PM 4/10/03, Eric Siegerman wrote:

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 02:14:51PM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> I downloaded the .tgz, unpacked it, and ran "./configure --prefix=/usr &&
> make && make check && make install".  It took a while, but all seemed to
> run correctly.

A long shot, but did you happen to actually do something like:
        ./configure
        make
        # Oh darn, forgot the --prefix
        ./configure --prefix=/usr
        make
        [test and install]

If so, "make distclean" and then reinstall autoconf.

Running "configure" fails to force the rebuilding of one specific
file (lib/autom4te.cfg), and I believe that could cause the
problem you've described.

This affects only the building of Autoconf itself, *not* your
autoconfiscated packages.

Eric,

"make distclean" was the needed bit of magic. I had discovered that autom4te.cfg was pointing to /usr/local/share/autoconf, which seemed wrong. I guess I should have mentioned that fact.

With that change, I now have an autoconf-2.57 installation in which "autoreconf -fis" runs correctly and without complaint.

Thank you very much.

David