AC_PROG_YACC returns 'yacc' by default even if non-existent

From: Joshua Kwan
Subject: AC_PROG_YACC returns 'yacc' by default even if non-existent
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:21:50 -0700

Hi, the subject says it all.

At the end of the AC_PROG_YACC macro there is this:

test -n "$YACC" || YACC="yacc"

This is bad... I won't be able to tell whether 'yacc' is fake or real when
AC_PROG_YACC returns this. I could add an additional path check to $YACC
to work around this, but it's not a good idea.

This affects two of my programs. :/

I think the yacc test should lift some code from the AC_PROG_LEX macro:

test -n "$LEX" || LEX=":"

Then I can definitely and assuredly check for the existence of a real yacc
program. If not, someone please explain to me why the macro behaves this way.
=)

Regards,
Josh

P.S. Continue to CC me on replies, thanks, too many mailing lists already :)