Re: cross-compiling philosophy

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: cross-compiling philosophy
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:32:22 -0600 (CST)

> You're right, this has nothing to do with the package maintainer,
> and everything to do with the build/test environment.
> I guess I didn't describe it very well.  We will have to
> document the syntax of this command/script.  One argument,
> which is a shell command to run on the target?  The file
> system context has to be the same (mirror or copy) as that
> of the configure script?  I will provide an example that
> "works for me".

I don't see any reason to assume that the target supports a filesystem
at all.  Perhaps the exectable needs to be downloaded to the target
somehow (maybe even over a serial port!) and told to execute.

It does seem trivial enough to document a way to execute an external
program/script to "download file to target" and "execute program on
target".  However, there is also the issue that the target system
needs to be identified somehow, and the target may support a name for
the command to execute the "program", so a way needs to be provided to
identify the program to run.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden