Re: configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 19:07:02 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Bill Moseley wrote:

> Can someone comment on this?
> Trying to understand if this problem is due to my configure.in script,
> the debian packages, or autoconf.

I do know that libtool 1.5 will switch the current language to C++ and
will attempt to test the C++ pre-processor regardless of whether your
project uses C++.  Are you using libtool 1.5?

When the project doesn't use C++, treating the failed C++ "/lib/cpp"
as a fatal error is atrocious.

Development libtool allows you to specify which languages to configure
so you can limit configuration to C.

Bob

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:23:08AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > I'm getting the "fails sanity check"  on my laptop running Debian Sid
> > after doing a dist-upgrade the other day.  I have these packages:
> >
> > ii  autoconf        2.57-11         automatic configure script builder
> > ii  gcc             3.3.1-2         The GNU C compiler.
> >
> > Here's the error:
> >
> > $ ./configure >/dev/null
> > configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
> > See `config.log' for more details.
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden