Re: defaults of infodir and mandir

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: defaults of infodir and mandir
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:47:59 +0100

Eric Blake wrote:
> This reminds me of my request, nearly a month ago, which seemed to fall on
> deaf ears:
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2003-10/msg00033.html

This is unrelated to localedir; therefore it's appropriate to change the
subject line.

> Besides, the current Autoconf defaults make it impossible to just override
> $(prefix) and still get binaries to /usr/bin but info to /usr/share/bin,
> which violates the FHS default recommendations.  Redefining $(infodir) and
> $(mandir) as recommended on the GNU Coding standards (ie.
> $(infodir)=$(datarootdir)/info, $(datarootdir)=$(prefix)/share) would fix
> this, too.

You can achieve this yourself through two lines in the configure.ac:

test "$infodir" != '${prefix}/info' || infodir='${datadir}/info'
test "$mandir" != '${prefix}/man' || mandir='${datadir}/man'

So, you see, you can produce FHS compliant installations without the need
for datarootdir.

Bruno