Re: [patch] Keep executability of config.status-ed files

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: [patch] Keep executability of config.status-ed files
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:21:11 -0500

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:55:04AM -0500, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> The '^' and '.' tokens in the grep expression [...]
>
> [...]  only use "ls -ld" after checking that such usage is valid

I'm 95% certain that each of these worked in 6th-Edition Bell
Labs UNIX, so it'd have to be a truly perverse platform that
failed to support them.  Of course I'm not stating categorically
that such platforms don't exist, but I'd want to know the name
and version of one -- and more to the point, its relevence in
2003 -- before I went to any effort at all to code around its
crazy limitations.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 07:19:56PM +0100, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
>       chmod +w builddir/FILE

On the other hand, I don't know how far back it goes that "chmod
+mode" (as opposed to "chmod a+mode") honours the umask.  If it's
a V7ism, fine; but if there are relevent platforms in which
that's not the case, then:
        chmod u+w builddir/FILE
would be safer.

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau