Re: [patch] Keep executability of config.status-ed files v3

From: Eric Sunshine
Subject: Re: [patch] Keep executability of config.status-ed files v3
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:50:02 -0500

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:03:49 -0600 (CST), Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> if test x"$ac_file" != x-; then
> -    mv $tmp/out $ac_file
> +    rm -f $ac_file
> +dnl Keep 'executable' attribute.
> +    for f in $ac_file_inputs; do
> +      cp $f $ac_file
> +      chmod u+w $ac_file
> +    done
> +    cat $tmp/out >$ac_file
> What is the loop supposed to do?  It seems to be copying all of the
> files listed in $ac_file_inputs to just one file name.  Surely that is
> not what you want?

I was going to ask the same question.  Based upon his original submission, I
suppose that the intention was that if any (even one) of the input files had
execute permission, then he wanted to give execute permission to the
composite output file.  Of course, that fails with this above scheme since
the net result is that it clones only the execute permission of the very last
file in the ac_file_inputs list.  It would probably make more sense to
instead copy the permission of just the first file in the list since this has
a better chance of producing the desired result in actual practice (I
suppose).

-- ES