Re: generating a configure script in a subdirectory?

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: generating a configure script in a subdirectory?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:20:04 +0100

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 10:05, Akim Demaille wrote:
>  > But beware, autoreconf can be dangerous and doesn't always work.
>
> Why?

To make a long story short, some examples:

1. autoreconf doesn't work if a package has not been prepared for the
particular version of auto*tools autoreconf is about to run.

i.e. you are going to trip each and every incompatibility any of the
auto*tools are carrying around.

E.g. run autoreconf on packages assuming autoconf-2.13 or libtool-1.4
with autoconf-2.59 rsp. libtool-1.5 installed - Im most cases the result
will be garbage or non-functionality.

(An extreme: Take the gcc source tree and try autoreconf - The result is
devastation ;) )

2. I am still experiencing problems with autoreconf failing to run
autoheader in certain cases. Unfortunately I am only seeing this with
real-world code and have not been able to produce an isolated example.