Re: Cleanly sharing a project tree between OSes?

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: Cleanly sharing a project tree between OSes?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:54:13 +0100

Am Freitag, 23. Januar 2004 15:39 schrieb Al:
> $ ls
> linux myproj windows
>
> $ ls myproj
> AUTHORS    INSTALL      README        bootstrap     doc
> COPYING    Makefile.am  etc...
>
> Then I would hope to be able to switch to either the windows directory when
> on windows, or the linux directory when on Linux and
>
> $ bootstrap && configure -C && make && make install

Normally, you would do

$ cd linux
linux$ ../myproj/configure && make && make install

You just need to have your makefiles set up correctly.  If you're using
automake, you should be all set.  Otherwise you need to learn about making
your makefiles VPATH-aware.  In either case, as far as autoconf is concerned,
"it just works", because all the platform-specific files are created in the
current directory ("linux" in this example).