Re: Problem with configure

From: Priit Voolaid
Subject: Re: Problem with configure
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:08:48 +0200 (EET)

> > All good, configure runs wiht no problems.
> > But after compilaiton 'make install' fails to copy everything to its
> > right place, under /opt dircetory.
> > After inspecting configure generated Makefile, i've found the problem. To
> > demonstrate what i mean, heres some lines from example Makefile:
> >
> > # Install directories
> > PREFIX=                 --prefix/opt
> > prefix=                 --prefix/opt
> > exec_prefix=            ${prefix}
> > BINDIR=                 ${exec_prefix}/bin
> > INST_DIR=               ${prefix}/grass5
> >
> > The PREFIX is defined as --prefix/opt instead /opt. Why is that? Where can
> > i search for source of this problem?
>
> That is definitely not what is expected.  And because of that I think
> that it was invoked differently than you think.  I would try it again
> carefully because I believe it should work.

I have tryed, many times, with diffrenet packages and always with same
result, ./configure generated Makefile is corrupt.

> That or the author put something strange in the configure.ac file.

It seems my problem is not package realeted. The above described problem
shows up with autoconf 2.12/2.13 generated configure scripts.
When package includes with newer versions of autoconf, e.g. 2.57 created
configure, then the Makefile will have correct prefix.

Of course, i can bypass this problem when i run the autoconf by myself and
generate new configure script. Does this mean, that i must run autoconf
whenever the configure is created with older autoconf version than
installed on my system?

I have:
kernel  2.4.22
gcc     3.3.1
autoconf 2.57
automake 1.7.6

> autoconf generated scripts are very well debugged in that area.  In any
> case you will need to do some debugging of it.

I consider myself newby in linux and without any knowledge in programming.
So i can't trace this problem by myself. Should i send a config.log?
Thanks!

P. Voolaid