Advice for building threading & socket support

From: Stony Yakovac
Subject: Advice for building threading & socket support
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:38:03 -0700

I am working on the first project I have ever developed under the GNU
build environment.  I am trying to get the package to build on as many
OS's as possible.  It is being developed on Linux and now I am trying to
get it to build on Solaris.  I would like to have it work with the
Cygnus environment as well if possible.

I have run into a problem that I can solve, but I don't know how to get
the GNU environment to help me solve it for both Linux and Solaris, but
it seems like autoconf, configure, and automake ought to be able to
offer something.  I use threads and sockets in the code.  On Linux, that
just compiles and works.  Matter of fact, it requires that there NOT be
a -lsocket switch.  On Solaris, it needs the -lsocket to link.

Similarly, WAIT_ANY is a defined constant on Linux, but not on Solaris
for waitpid; gettext is not present on Solaris, but is on Linux;
semaphore do not require the -lrt on Linux linker command, but Solaris
does;

I am sure there are more things lurking as well.  How do other people
solve these issues?