Re: rm: conftest: is a directory

From: Soren Jacobsen
Subject: Re: rm: conftest: is a directory
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:43:57 -0700

On 06/07 22:20, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> [Sent to port64-netbsd because the same program works fine on i386, so I
> assume it is a Sparc-specific problem. Copy to autoconf mailing list because
> the program is a configure script.]
>
> An autoconf-generated configure script always crash:
>
> checking for vprintf... rm: conftest: is a directory
> rm: conftest: is a directory
> no
> checking for getaddrinfo... rm: conftest: is a directory
> rm: conftest: is a directory
> no
>
> and fails to discover things that do exist (such as getaddrinfo on NetBSD).

Yep.  This is caused by an ICE in the fortran compiler.  That is, if it's
the problem I think it is.  gcc-2.95.3 on NetBSD/sparc64 is, in many ways,
problematic.  If you look around pkgsrc, you'll see that I've added hacks
to some packages to get around this problem.  It would certainly be nice
to have this problem detected and handled in autoconf, but in the
meantime, you can try adding the standard hack to
pkgsrc/net/echoping/Makefile: CONFIGURE_ENV+=F77=${FALSE}

The other way to get around this is to use gcc3.  Might I suggest giving
NetBSD 2.0_BETA a try? ;)