Re: Tru64 losing files.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Tru64 losing files.
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:47:01 -0700

Toby White <address@hidden> writes:

> I've managed to generate two shortish (~1000 line) configure scripts
> demonstrating the difference in behaviour. The only difference
> between the two (apart from version numbers in comments) is the
> changed LINENO code.

Is the LINENO code being triggered for you?  That is, are the scripts
creating a file configure.lineno and executing that file?  If so,
can you capture these two configure.lineno files and post them?

config.works uses ${SHELL-/bin/sh} to run configure.lineno, whereas
config.broke uses $CONFIG_SHELL.  Do these evaluate to different
shells?  If so, that might explain the problem.  Perhaps CONFIG_SHELL
is buggy.

> http://www.esc.cam.ac.uk/~twhi03/config.broke
> http://www.esc.cam.ac.uk/~twhi03/config.works

I assume that you inserted the "echo here..." lines after running
"autoconf".  Did you insert any other lines?