Re: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:48:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, John W. Eaton wrote:

On  7-Sep-2004, Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:

|  Programs linked with
| the Cygwin DLL "mount" the Windows filesystems using different paths
| (e.g. "/cygdrive/c")

My recollection is that an application can be written to mostly not
care whether the filenames are specified with Windows-style names or
Unix-style names.

Cygwin provides a mapping from a Unix-style filesystem mapping to Windows drives. Cygwin accepts Unix-style path conventions. Programs which use the Cygwin interface use Cygwin (i.e. Unix) conventions. Windows users who specify "c:\foo\bar" or "\\host\path" will be very very confused when nothing useful happens. Cygwin is essentially Unix for Windows.

| and if the mounts use Unix line termination
| conventions (the default), text files are in Unix format rather than
| MS-DOS format (i.e. can't be opened in Windows Notepad).

OK, this is potentially a real problem.  Is it possible to have my
application specify the way text files are opened even if the default
mount mode uses Unix line termination?

Not that I am aware of. Your mini-Cygwin install would want to mount the drives using MS-DOS line termination. Then opening with text/binary modes should have useful effect.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden