Re: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?

From: Andre Caldas
Subject: Re: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:11:01 +0900

Please explain to me carefully why I should put a lot of effort into
generating undocumented .sln files for a platform that I do not use,
when there is nobody paying me to do so?

You shouldn't, as you don't care about the problem.  Some of us are more
cross-platform oriented than you are, so we should / do care.  For
instance, one of my strategic goals is to move the OCaml programmer
culture from UNIX-centric to platform neutral.  I can only do that by
getting tools to work equally well in both environments.

If you are cross-plataform oriented you should not support OSes that are
always trying to impose their proprietary *non-cross-plataform* APIs!

This is a matter of politics, not technology. If you preffere to just
say: "I don't care about politics. You all are deviating from the
subject!"... Then you have a problem! Because belive it or not: "This
*is* a matter of politics".

But don't worry, you can always find politically alienate people to help
you.

My point was simply that UNIXen aren't in a morally superior position as
far as cross-platform support.  They're just as disinterested in native
Windows support as Microsoft is in native UNIX support.

This is not true! Have you ever heard about POSIX? What is the
equivalent for windows? Have you ever heard about the tiral Sun x Microsoft?