Re: configure: error: cannot find macro directory `m4'

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: configure: error: cannot find macro directory `m4'
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:35:44 +0200

* Jeff Sheinberg wrote on Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 01:15:48AM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues writes:
>  > * Jeff Sheinberg wrote on Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 10:09:14PM CEST:
>
>  > > and now "make distcheck" no longer works.  I tried "make dist",
>
>  > Stab in the dark:  You have some macro files in the m4/ directory which
>  > are not really needed within your project.  The newer aclocal now
>  > recognizes this and does not include them in your project any more.
>  > You relied on this before, not having put
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  >   EXTRA_DIST = m4/macro_file.m4 ...
>  > in the suitable Makefile.am.
>  >
>  > Are these assumptions correct?  Then either add the EXTRA_DIST line,
>  > or, if those macros are irrelevant for the project, remove metion of the
>  > m4/ directory from all configure.ac and Makefile.am files.
>
> Yes, your explanation is correct.  I added "EXTRA_DIST = m4", and
> it now works like a charm.

Hmm.  Do you need these m4 files?  If they are necessary only for
/using/ your installed package (as opposed to building it), then putting
them in dist_aclocal_DATA should be sufficient, no EXTRA_DIST mention
needed.

Obviously you don't need them for building your package (any more),
right?  No need to ship them then, unless you want to allow other users
to be able to use older Automake versions with your package.

Regards,
Ralf