Re: using AC_CHECK_LIB across different libc versions

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: using AC_CHECK_LIB across different libc versions
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:47:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Rob Benton wrote:

I could be trying this in the wrong way but the only way I've been able to get AC_CHECK_LIB to work is by using the symbol of a function from one of my libraries.
Also I set the AC_LANG to C++.  But across different machines with different
compilers and versions of C++ libraries the symbols are different. I've thought about just writing my simple 'nm | grep' test but I wanted to get some advice first.
Am I going about this in the wrong way?

Since you are testing for a C++ function/method, AC_LANG should definitely be set to C++. If the current C++ compiler is compatible with the one used to build the library, then the symbol names should be the same. It may be necessary to specify additional libraries in order for the link to succeed. Check config.log for errors encountered while running AC_CHECK_LIB in order to determine exactly what is going wrong.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden